Monday 30 June 2008

More sightseeing and Cardiology

--Osborne House where Queen Vic and Prince Albert Stayed on the Island--

--Sailboats in Cowes Gathered to Watch Yacht Race--


Fun British Word of the Day: Welly-when you are giving something the welly you are trying really hard at it-I am giving it a welly to rush home for dinner


Quick recap from this weekend:

I went to Osborne House where Queen Victoria lived to get away from everyone, Carrisbrooke Castle where King Charles was imprisoned during the Civil War, and saw a yacht race around the island. The weather, being 70 degrees and moderately sunny, was the best I'd seen so far here so I definitely took full advantage.

This morning I shadowed Dr Dallas Price, a cardiologist consultant for the hospital. I've shadowed a few cardiothoracic surgeons and a cardiologist here or there but today was exceptionally awesome! Not only was Dr Price an amazing teacher but I also understood everything he explained! I guess first year actually did some good. I was nervous as I'd seen him grilling junior doctors (residents) in the hallway but I think I withstood his medical inquisition fairly well.

Another reason that I was so entranced today was that we saw some amazing cases. The first lady in the morning had an atrial septal defect and I was able to hear the two clinical signs indicative of the condition. We then saw an entire family who had Marfan's Syndrome which is an autosomal dominant problem w/ your connective tissue. One of the manifestations can be a dissection of your aorta where it connects to your right ventricle so we took each individual in the echo lab and measured the width of the vessel right past the aortic valve. Dr. Price demonstrated what the most common murmurs sound like, how to describe them, and where to look.

I'm also finished the prison paper and the Darwin paper and I'll post both of them once I've fished out the grammatical errors. These last few weeks I'll start work on comparing Virginia (which has an Isle of Wight County) and Hampshire (which is the region that contains the Isle of Wight Island) in how they detect, treat, etc. heart disease and maybe a bit about how the social contributors differ for the US and UK. I'm also set to go to London to work there for my final week.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I mentioned to you, it is believed that Abe Lincoln suffered from Marfans. Elongated limbs, constipation, constant headaches, etc.

More and more sounds like cardiology is your area of interest.