Monday 23 June 2008

Beginning of Another Week

--Riverside Pubs Outside of the Office--

Fun British Word of the Day: Smart--referring to someone who is dressed sharply

Quick Post for the day...just to say that I started my comparative paper on prisons and am writing on how our countries manage cancer prevention, detection, treatment, and end-of-life support. The literature is hard to come by for both countries but I think it's important given that 12 of the 20 prisoners that have died recently on the island had it. Many of them were left undiagnosed until a few weeks, sometimes days even, before they passed away.

I had to go to the ER today on account of not having a General Practitioner, not paying taxes for the NHS, and generally weighing down the system. I have otitits externa which is surprisingly painful and resistant to the antibiotics I'm taking for my tooth infection. My complement system (or would it be IgA?) is not faring well against the onslaught of British bacteria I'm afraid. If I keep it up I won't just be observing all aspects of care, I'll be experiencing them directly. Oh well...

The ER experience was quick and painless. It only took 45 minutes to be seen and I had an antibiotic and was out the door soon after at no cost. I also met my first native-born UK doctor and my nurse had visited Chapel Hill! She said it was one of the most beautiful places she'd been to. Unfortunately, she also liked Duke's Gothic architecture b/c it reminded her of home. They may have nicer stonework but we get the points for being more American.

Enjoy the Picture!

1 comment: